Skaryszew

Autor: dr Adam Jankiewicz    

Skaryszew

Originally a market village, it was established and developed at the end of the 16th century on the Kamion village lands, near Praska Kępa above the Vistula breakwater, due to the construction of a permanent bridge across the Vistula. It was established by the canon Stanisław Skaryszewski from Płock. In 1641 Skaryszew was granted town charter. In comparison with other Praga jurydykas, it was the most evenly planned, with two markets the Old and the New, eleven streets, ten granaries and a parish church for the whole of Praga on Brukowa Street. From 1780 the town belonged to the crown. There were many manor houses owned by magnates and the nobility, a hospital for the poor, and a school run by Rev. Bochomolec. After 1791 Skaryszew was incorporated into Warsaw together with Praga and Golędzinów. It was destroyed and burned down during the Insurrection and the rest of the dwellings were pulled down during the building of Napoleon’s fortifications. In the 19th century the Praski Port was built in the Skaryszew neighbourhood over the Vistula backwater.

The project ‘Protecting the habitats of priority bird species of the Vistula Valley under conditions of intensive pressure of the Warsaw agglomeration’ (wislawarszawska.pl) has received a grant from the Financial Instrument for the Environment (LIFE+) and from the National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management.