Praga Trading Port

Autor: Zdzisław Smoliński    

Praga Trading Port

At the turn of the 20th century there was swampland, called by Varsovians, Wilcza Kępa, in the place of the current Praga Trading Port. Wet docks were built here on 20 May 1919. According to original plans the port was to have five wet docks. In the end, two wet docks were built, which exist to this day. The sides of the port were reinforced with concrete walls and stone bulwarks. Coal, steel products and building materials were brought from Silesia on barges to the port. Citrus fruits, coffee and tea sailed from abroad to Warsaw. Moreover, grain, vegetables, cement, sand and gravel were reloaded here. In winter Praga Trading Port was a wintering harbour. After World War II inland navigation started to lose its importance. Mainly gravel and sand was reloaded in the port. When the port in Żerań was opened in 1963 Paga Trading Port stopped being important. Reloading was taken over by Żerań Port. The facility takes up 50 ha. In 2000, this area was given to the Elektrim company as part payment for building the Świętokrzyski Bridge. It is planned to develop the area into a residential and shopping complex.

The project ‘Protecting the habitats of priority bird species of the Vistula Valley under conditions of intensive pressure of the Warsaw agglomeration’ (wislawarszawska.pl) has received a grant from the Financial Instrument for the Environment (LIFE+) and from the National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management.